Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Time to Hit the Pavement!



This is where the rubber meets the road, as they say! Today I am beginning my (slightly modified) 16-Week training schedule to gear up for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure!

I know I have more than 16 weeks until the San Diego event, from November 19th through the 21st. I have just over 24 weeks to be exact. However, I decided to try the 16-week schedule because I've been walking regularly for a while now.

I found great 16 and 24-week training schedules in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure Participant Handbook. Since I registered to walk online, my handbook is available to me online and I love being able to access it at any time. I just modified the 16-week schedule to meet my needs and my calendar. This week I'll be starting on Wednesday (due to the lengthy Memorial Day weekend). Now all I have left to do is to start training!

Here's my training schedule for the upcoming week, Week One:

-Wednesday: Easy Walking, 3 miles

-Thursday: Cross training, focus on leg strength, 30 minutes

-Friday: Moderate Walking, 4 miles

-Saturday: Cross training, focus on arm and core strength, 30 minutes

I will start Week Two on Sunday, June 6th.

So have you started your training program yet? How are you structuring your walking schedule? Do you have any hints or tips about training for long-distance walking? I'd love to hear how you're doing it!

Please keep in mind, this is my personal training schedule. It is important to consult a physician before beginning any exercise regimen. I am not a professional, I'm just a woman trying to get in shape while raising funds and awareness for a cause dear to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment